Johny's Tips

For technology tips go to Johny's Tips

Monday 6 July 2015

Koorka (Chinese Potato) 2015

This post is mainly about Koorka/Chinese Potato, which I planted in September 2014 and harvested in July 2015.

Plectranthus rotundifolius or Solenostemon rotundifolius, called Chinese potato in Indian English and often referred to as native potato or country potato in Africa, is a perennial herbaceous plant, of the mint family (Lamiaceae), native to tropical Africa, cultivated in parts of West Africa, South Africa, Madagascar, South Asia and Southeast Asia for its edible tubers. Wild varieties are found in the grasslands of East Africa. Read more...

Dishes made of Koorka can be seen here


Planted this in September 2014. Initial harvesting done in the first week of July.


04-Nov-2014                                                                      04-Dec-2014

This is the state once I am back from India after the holidays.
25-Jan-2015                                                                      14-Mar-2015                         

21-Apr-2015                                                                       03-May-2015


It looks like the time to harvest. Lets see whether we get something from this or not.

Harvesting on 07-July-2015

1st harvest was not bad. Now its the second time. This time will post the photo of the dish also.


12-Jul-2015                                                                       17-Jul-2015

Still some more to go. Will do that in few weeks time.










22 comments:

  1. Great post..where is this, is it in kerala?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi could you send some seed to Queensland please
    I will pay you the seedling and postage
    Lijo mathew
    0423050802
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please let me know if you have seeds of chinese potato/koorkka. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the seeds at the moment. I could give you seeds or cuttings at a later stage. Where do you live ?

      Delete
  4. Thanks Anoop. Much appreciated. I am also in Perth. Ballajura. Which area you are located ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Johnny, please let me know if you can provide me some tubers or cuttings. I could come collect it on this weekend. Thanks much.
    Babu Porora
    babuporora@yahoo.com
    0478582031

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi mate
    Can I please get some cuttings or bulbs.
    Jithu augustine
    0470393090

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Its bit too early.. If you can check with me around late Nov, I should be able to give some cuttings.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Anoop. I will contact you at late November.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anoop, could you please message me if you have any cuttings available now? 0478582031
    Thanks much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just started growing now, but not yet ready to take any cuttings. mMay be in 2-3 weeks it should be ready..

      Delete
  10. Many thanks for the message. I will contact you after 2-3 weeks. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anoop, Can I please have a koorkka cutting. Please message me on 0481367567. Thanks, Joby

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anoop, can I please have some cuttings.
    Thank you,
    Babu 0478582031

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI
    IM LIVING CALIFORNIA
    CAN I ORDER KOORKA

    ReplyDelete